As part of its plans for a new location on North Chestnut Street in New Paltz, Stewart’s Shops has donated to the Village of New Paltz the historic Ann Oliver House at 5 Broadhead Avenue. The Village of New Paltz invites proposals (RFP’s) to purchase the house from the Village so it may be restored in a historically sensitive way.
The house at 5 Broadhead was once owned by Ann Oliver, the widow of Richard Oliver, a black soldier who died of malaria returning home to New Paltz after serving in the Civil War. It was built in 1885, in part by Jacob Wynkoop (born 1829), also a Civil War veteran and one of New Paltz’s first black landowners. Wynkoop was a local builder who constructed a series of homes that define a New Paltz neighborhood in the area of what is now Broadhead, Church and Mulberry Streets.
The approximately 1,232-square foot two-story frame house will be on a 2,736-square foot lot (0.06 acres) between North Chestnut Street and east of the home at 7 Broadhead.
The house at 5 Broadhead has fallen into disrepair and is structurally compromised. Applicants must commit to making substantial renovations and major system updates to return it to a habitable state. Building permits will be required. Because the site will commemorate the Oliver Family, Jacob Wynkoop and black history in New Paltz, the new owner will be required to accept local landmarking of the property and the placement of historical signage. Proposals must assume that the house will be transferred in as-is condition.
The Village will give special consideration to plans that honor the Oliver Family, Jacob Wynkoop and black history. Bidders may also choose to include other public benefits such as an affordable housing deed restriction, sustainable building practices, or cutting-edge energy-efficiency features. A committee from the Village’s Historic Preservation Commission, Building Department and Board of Trustees will evaluate all submitted proposals.
For additional details and information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org,