The last article in this series covering the history of street names in the village of Saugerties looks at the streets of the historic overlay district south of the bridge, and Barclay Heights.
Different phases of development in the village can be seen in the feel of the architecture, in the varying lot sizes, and in the width of the streets and amount of lawn and sidewalk. These trends allows differentation in the flavor of individual neighborhoods.
When the village incorporated in 1831, its borders were set to geographic landmarks where the Sawyerkill meets Malden Ave., the Tannery Brook meets the turnpike, and the road to the ford crossed the Esopus near the village line and Esopus Bend. New streets spread out to fill these corners once the nucleus of the earliest surveyed village filled out.
Few streets of the early village were planned north of Main St. because there was a focus on Livingston lands south of Main St. All the streets there follow a grid of lots laid out in a survey made in 1827 by John Kiersted after the Chancellor’s heir, Robert L. Livingston, sold his land in the village area to Henry Barclay. Barclay then subdivided the part of this purchase from the Chancellor’s Burhans estate settlement land and returned about a hundred lots from this back to Livingston. These lots are what is called the Barclay and Livingston allotment lots and extend from the library all the way to the Esopus at the bottom of the hill.
First installment: The village core around Main St.