I knew Cliff Snyder from the early 1970s but hadn’t seen him in years. When we began organizing the collection
The structure of every news story should have history within it. News doesn’t have much meaning without some background. The
The last article in this series covering the history of street names in the village of Saugerties looks at the streets of the historic overlay district south of the bridge, and Barclay Heights.
Different phases of development in the village can be seen in the feel of the architecture, in the varying lot sizes, and in the width of the streets and amount of lawn and sidewalk. These trends allows differentation in the flavor of individual neighborhoods.
When the village incorporated in 1831, its borders were set to geographic landmarks where the Sawyerkill meets Malden Ave., the Tannery Brook meets the turnpike, and the road to the ford crossed the Esopus near the village line and Esopus Bend. New streets spread out to fill these corners once the nucleus of the earliest surveyed village filled out.
Few streets of the early village were planned north of Main St. because there was a focus on Livingston lands south of Main St. All the streets there follow a grid of lots laid out in a survey made in 1827 by John Kiersted after the Chancellor’s heir, Robert L. Livingston, sold his land in the village area to Henry Barclay. Barclay then subdivided the part of this purchase from the Chancellor’s Burhans estate settlement land and returned about a hundred lots from this back to Livingston. These lots are what is called the Barclay and Livingston allotment lots and extend from the library all the way to the Esopus at the bottom of the hill.
First installment: The village core around Main St.
James Eights, M.D., an amateur geologist, writes in the fall of 1835 in his description of the rock formations the
The falls at Glenerie are familiar to drivers on route 9W — on the right heading south leaving Saugerties. What
As the 19th century moved into 20th, the hamlets grew into centers of employment as boarding houses and resort colonies became the mainstays of Saugerties’ rural economy.