
Last month, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) slashed around $1 billion in funding of two federal programs that allowed schools and food banks to buy food directly from local farms and producers. Locally, those cuts are expected to impact students, farmers and the link between the two.
The move came as the Trump administration turned its attention to attempting to dismantle the U.S. Department of Education and promising cuts to the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) in the National School Lunch program.
Of the USDA’s more than $1 billion in funding cuts, around $660 million was earmarked for the Local Food for Schools Program, which will impact schools in 40 states, including New York.
The USDA programs were financed through the agency’s Commodity Credit Corporation, a fund established during the Great Depression to purchase goods directly from farmers.
In a March 20 Instagram post, Ulster County Executive Jen Metzger lamented the cuts and their impact on local students, farmers and those in need.
“Very disappointed about federal cuts to USDA farm-to-school and farm-to-pantry grant programs,” said Metzger. “These grant programs do so much good, nourishing our kids and food insecure families and seniors while also helping our local farmers.”
Metzger announced a countywide grant program to help local farmers improve their long-term viability, enhance energy efficiency, and adapt to the impacts of climate change, with funding available between $25,000-$75,000 for eligible applicants.
On the same day, Governor Kathy Hochul visited an Albany elementary school, announcing that the state would ensure the state’s 2.7 million students didn’t see a disruption in food availability.
“I’m fighting to make school meals free for every student in New York — giving every young person the nourishment they need to thrive in the classroom and putting money back in families’ pockets,” Governor Hochul said. “As the federal government takes a hammer to vital food assistance programs, we’re stepping up to the plate by filling the plates of those who need it most.”
The state currently receives $2 billion in federal funding to support school meal programs, though it’s unclear whether that will continue as the Trump administration announces further cuts. Where the state will find the funds to continue its expansive school breakfast and lunch program is unclear.
The governor’s 2025 State-of-the-State initiative mandates that all school districts, charter schools, and nonpublic schools participating in the national school lunch and breakfast program offer free breakfast and lunch to all students, regardless of their family’s income. As part of the initiative, the state will cover the cost of meals for students who are not already receiving free meals, extending eligibility to nearly 300,000 more students.
While there is hope at the state level, the federal cuts have some local school districts worried about what it will mean not only for students, but also community farms and the relationship between the two.
Saugerties Central School District Superintendent Daniel Erceg said losing the federal funds will be felt across the board.
“The last round of Local Food for Schools afforded our program $21,901,” Erceg said. “We were able to purchase domestic, unprocessed local fresh foods from local farms and underserved producers. Our students, schools, and local farmers will be negatively affected by these reductions.”
New Paltz Central School District Superintendent Stephen Gratto said the cuts will hurt students in his district.
“The potential loss of the CEP is very concerning,” Gratto said. “Our students benefit greatly from free breakfasts and lunches. We cannot provide this much-needed benefit without assistance from the federal government.”