Saugerties celebrates solar farm opening

The solar farm built atop the former landfill on Route 21 in Saugerties. (photo by Dion Ogust)

An Earth Day ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the opening of the two megawatt community solar Farm in Saugerties became a virtual event via Zoom on April 22 due to the coronavirus. Supervisor Fred Costello Jr. said at the opening of the solar farm built atop the former landfill on Route 212 that the town government will purchase 40 percent of the project’s energy output and receive a ten percent discount. The remainder 60 percent of the solar farm energy is available for residents.

On the panel with Costello were Wendy Wolfe, co-founder of East Light Partners, the company that developed the solar farm, and Malcolm’s David Bliss, vice president of Common Energy, the company that is signing up residents to join the solar farm.

Advertisement

Bliss explained how the solar farm benefits both the environment  and residents who join It. He described how energy from the solar farm flows to the electric grid, replacing fossil fuels and directly lowering emissions. Residents who join the solar farm receive the renewable energy and a ten percent reduction in their electric bill.

There is one comment

  1. wowjustwow

    Did you know that solar panels are made from quartz and coal, not sand? I learned a lot from Michael Moore’s new film.

Comments are closed.