A panel discussion designed to provide information and to address the community’s questions concerning refugees and immigrants in Gardiner and the Hudson Valley will take place on Friday, May 19, 7 p.m., at the Gardiner Town Hall.
The event is free and primarily for Gardiner residents, but is open to all. The five panelists include:
• Immigration lawyer Miryam Antunez De Mayolo will discuss US Refugee and Immigrant vetting practices.
• Worker’s Justice Center program director Andrea Callan will address the long, lengthy, complicated and costly process for becoming documented.
• Mid-Hudson Refugee Alliance founder and Associate Professor of Political Science and International Relations at SUNY New Paltz Ilgu Ozler will talk about the refugee crisis (world wide and local) and the recent ban.
• New Paltz Deputy Supervisor Daniel Torres will discuss sanctuary cities and the law.
• Ulster County Sheriff Paul Van Blarcum will address county law enforcement practices.