The New Paltz High School student reported on November 17 to have a probable case of mumps has now recovered and returned to classes with a doctor’s note confirming that the student is no longer infectious, according to schools Superintendent Maria Rice.
There are no other affected students in the district.
The reports from NBCNewYork.com stating otherwise, published as recently as today, November 30, (with earlier reports picked up by other news outlets) are incorrect, said Rice, in stating that there were multiple student-athletes at the school with confirmed cases.
The case of mumps in the individual student affected was only officially confirmed by doctors this morning. School district officials were never contacted, Rice said, by any news agency that reported otherwise.
“They may have talked to somebody at the college that didn’t have all the facts, but they never talked to us,” she said.
The SUNY New Paltz website maintains a page devoted to the mumps outbreak at the college. As of November 30, there are 29 cases confirmed on campus. The website to visit for updated information about the university is https://www.newpaltz.edu/healthcenter/healthcenterupdates/.
The probable case at New Paltz High School was brought to the district’s attention on November 16. Because the student interacted with others in the high school, middle school and Duzine Elementary School, parents were notified there was a probable case of mumps and appropriate protocol was followed. The student affected had been immunized, but the vaccine is not 100 percent effective.