Spas have been known as places of healing for thousands of years and continue to promise relaxation, rejuvenation and a renewed sense of purpose. At the basic level, local day spas offer therapeutic treatments like massage, body treatments and facials, which can help you take care of your body and improve your sense of well-being. At the highest level, overnight spas can even help you cope with medical issues or with a major life setback like divorce and death.
Here are a number of ways to access the full health benefits of spas:
1) Get a massage. Calm the central nervous system, relieve muscle pain from spasms and injuries, improve blood circulation, deliver oxygen and nutrients to cells, and help the body get rid of waste products. Need I mention it also feels good?
2) Take care of your skin. Skin is your largest organ, an insulating shield that protects your internal organs while providing information about the outside world through touch. It well deserves your care.
Facials leave your skin glowing, healthy and nourished, and body scrubs get rid of the flaky skin cells that sit on the skin’s surface; body wraps detox or hydrate the skin. When combined, it’s a facial for the whole body.
3) Detox. When you’re ready to get beautiful from the inside out, spas can help by utilizing juice fasting, raw foods, and detox as a way for the body to turn its fat reserves into energy, and you can lose up to a pound a day. Dedicated detoxers report better energy, clearer skin, regular bowel movements, improved digestion, and increased concentration and clarity.
4) Improve your everyday health habits. If you don’t know where to start, a health spa can show you the way to better health; an inspiring environment combined with skilled professionals helps you find the motivation to make the changes you need.
5) Rest and reconnect. Sometimes you just need to get away from it all and spend some time alone, or with someone you love. Spas are a great place to be cared for, and to spend your day the way you want. Wake up late, write in your journal, read, take a walk and get some spa treatments.
6) Become mindful. Meditation and mindfulness have numerous health benefits. Why NOT reduce stress and increase one’s sense of well-being and happiness?