General Assignment Reporter
Hudson Valley One is seeking a general assignment reporter to cover news and feature stories in the northern part of Ulster County. Topics include local government, education, crime, development, housing, health, business, persons of interest; any issue that affects these communities.
- Impeccable writing skills with a lively, engaging style.
- Ability to cultivate local sources and break stories is a must. Part of the job involves a boots-on-the-ground, knocking-on-doors presence in the community. As such, it requires residence in Ulster County, preferably with a strong network of community contacts. If you lack that, you’ll need to be the type of person who can build up a network quickly.
- Ability to cover early evening meetings and occasional weekend events.
- Close attention to detail and persistence in getting to the bottom of things, to the story behind the story. A logical thinker who always anticipates the questions a reader would have.
- Above-average photography skills.
- A dedication to the mission and principles of journalism, and an understanding and passion for the Hudson Valley One brand.
Would be helpful to have:
- Experience as a reporter in Ulster County
- Professional/first-hand experience in local government, business, planning, development, schools, health, tourism, and other areas we cover.
- Experience working with WordPress or another content management system.
- Experience shooting and editing narrative or editorial digital video.
- Proven ability to drive traffic to articles through social media.
This is a freelance position with the opportunity for full-time employment down the road. Though experience is always helpful, we welcome any applicants with a strong interest in local issues.
To apply, please answer a few questions and attach a resume and cover letter.