Gas leak results in evacuation of New Paltz Middle School, closure of Main St.

At 10:46 a.m. this morning, the New Paltz Fire Department was dispatched for a gas leak at 210 Main Street in the village of New Paltz.

Upon arrival, it was confirmed by fire chief Cory Wirthmann that a large gas leak was present. Immediate evacuation of the areas and buildings from S. Manheim Blvd. to Joalyn Road was conducted by fire and police department personnel. Main Street was also closed to traffic in both directions as a result of the evacuation. Part of the evacuation included the staff and students of the New Paltz Middle School. All occupants of the middle school property were transported via school bus as a precaution to the New Paltz High School safely without issue for the duration of the incident.

At that point, Central Hudson Gas crews were able to stop the gas leak. Additionally, Central Hudson and New Paltz Fire Department personnel checked all the areas of the middle school as a precaution with several combustible gas detection meters with no readings. Fire chief Wirthmann cleared the middle school and all surrounding properties clear and safe for occupancy at 12:19 pm.


The New Paltz Fire Department was assisted by the New Paltz Police, New Paltz Rescue Squad, SUNY New Paltz Police, New Paltz Central School District and the Village of New Paltz DPW.