A Saugerties volunteer fireman was killed early last evening while responding to a chimney fire on Fel Qui Rd.
At 6:59 p.m., Dec. 19, the the Centerville Fire District responded to the fire, and mutual aid from Mount Marion Fire Department was also dispatched.
When firefighters arrived on scene they encountered a fire within the basement of the residence. During the firefighting operation, an interior firefighter with the Mount Marion Fire Department went into distress and was rescued from the inside of the residence by fellow firefighters. Once outside, firefighters initiated lifesaving measures. The victim was transported to the Health Alliance Hospital, Kingston Broadway Campus, where the firefighter was pronounced dead.
The identity of the firefighter is being withheld until such time family members have been notified. The incident is currently under investigation and additional information will be forthcoming when available.