The falls at Glenerie are familiar to drivers on route 9W — on the right heading south leaving Saugerties. What is little known is that the industrial ruins of early mills, gone for more than a century now, seen between the road and the falls there, are the site of Glenerie, not where the present road marker is a mile back toward Saugerties.
In 1836 a description of Glenerie was published by James Eights, a physician-turned-naturalist associated with the founders of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Eights describes a suspension bridge at Glenerie, one of only two in America at the . . .
This page can be viewed only by subscribers.
Have an e-subscription or Hudson Valley One Premium membership? Log in
Not yet a subscriber? Sign up here.