The groups KingstonCitizens.org, Citizen Action New York and Go Beyond Greatness announced Friday, July 31 that they have canceled a planned mayoral debate that had been set for Sept. 8.
The debate organizers had hoped to get all three mayoral hopefuls – incumbent Shayne Gallo and challengers Steve Noble and Ron Polacco – to participate in the forum. Gallo earlier this week said he would not take part. “I’m not going to be subject to a debate organized by [KingstonCitizens.org‘s] Rebecca Martin and her group two days before the Democratic primary. That’s unacceptable,” said Gallo. He did add that he would gladly debate his opponents provided the event was organized by a “reputable” group with a “transparent” moderator.
A press release issued by the three groups Friday stated that: “given recent events and circumstances, we have made the decision to postpone our effort at this time.” The group went on to note that the Daily Freeman “is working on a debate” and urged the paper to have their event, which the groups say will not be open to the public but streamed online, after the workday so more can view it live.