Lanny Walter’s recent op-ed, “What Saugerties Democrats believe,” points out a number of government programs important to Democrats.
In stark contrast, rather than relying on government programs, Conservatives believe in self-reliance, as illustrated in the following rebuttal to Walter’s article.
America’s founding fathers — the individuals who led the American Revolution against the British Crown to establish the United States, or more narrowly, those who were instrumental in drafting the proposed Constitution of the United States and signing the Declaration of Independence — consisted of individuals with the vision of a liberated republic based on the Judeo-Christian principles that all men are created equal, endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
While the founding fathers separated church from state, they did not separate God from state. They recognized God as the source of our rights and cited biblical morality into the founding documents and laws as well as our values and culture. Acknowledging God as the source of our rights, keeping Judeo-Christian religious morality in the state, and basing our laws on reason and common sense have contributed to America’s character, and have made this an exceptional nation — in fact, the greatest nation in the history of the world.
Since those early formative days, these fundamental values have made our country strong and successful, and should remain essential to America’s spirit and culture for years to come. The Conservative Party embraces America’s traditional values of truth and honesty, self-reliance, hard work and competition, charity, justice, respect, humility, self-restraint, combating evil, respect for life, and the following of Christian principles.
The Conservative Party also supports—
- Rule of law and removal of elected officials who don’t follow the Constitution
- Limited Executive Orders, with laws written only by Congress
- State and local control of education
- Support of the Second Amendment
- Separation of powers
- Support of the Ninth and Tenth Amendments
- Small government with less regulations
- Lower taxes
- Limited grants and mandates
- Honest elections with valid voter ID
- Color-blind justice
- Support of the American Dream
- Enforcement of immigration laws
- Free-market capitalism
- Responsible development of natural resources
- Opposition to U.N. Agenda 21
The author chairs the Town of Saugerties Conservative Party.