Celebrate the Town of Saugerties Bicentennial and get “A View of Saugerties in 1811” by participating in a self-guided tour of historic homes, Saturday, May 21 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Each home on the tour was constructed from local stone, with one of the homes built with wood timbered in the nearby forest.
A highlight of the tour is the Wynkoop house (pictured), built between 1740-1763, now on the National Register of Historic Places. This is a well-preserved example of a stone house whose architecture is mainly Dutch, with stylistic touches distinctive to Ulster County as well. The rest of the homes remain a secret until the day of the tour to protect the privacy of the homeowners. Several of the outstanding stone houses on the tour also feature gardens, including a kitchen garden restored by its current owners.
An information-packed brochure will provide instructive route descriptions as well as detailed architectural and historical material.
Advance tickets are available from April 27-May 17 for $20 each, available at Smith Hardware and Hudson Valley Dessert Company, or by mail: Saugerties Town Hall, Attn: Stone House Tour, 4 High Street, Saugerties, NY 12477. The sponsor of this event is the Town of Saugerties Historic Preservation Commission. For further information call 246-2800 ext. 470, or visit www.HistoricHouseTour.com.
Tickets may also be purchased on the tour day for $25 per person, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Visitor Information Booth, located adjacent to McDonald’s on Route 212 just opposite the New York State Thruway.